When discussing and debating the type of fiscal policies the U.S. must undertake, here are several things to keep in mind:
- The middle class has not grown in 30 years.
- The income inequality in the U.S. is incredibly severe.
- The income of the richest 1% in the U.S. grew 275 percent over the last 30 years while the bottom 20% grew only 18 percent.
- The recession wiped out 39%, or 20 years of Americans’ wealth.
- The top 5% of American households have gained more wealth in the last 30 years than the entire human race had created prior to 1980.
- Whites earn 3/4th of U.S. income.
- All of these charts.