28 posts tagged election 2012
Here’s A Bunch Of Pictures Of Americans Finding Out They Can Now Legally Marry (Also, a larger version of the above chart).
Romney - Red & Obama - Blue
It’s a sad day when the majority of Americans voted for someone to be President and our voices got OVER-RULED.
Maybe after these 4 years y’all will understand that Obama was not the best choice for moving this country, ‘forward.’
It’s all the damn big cities
Majority tyranny, anyone?
The thing is that places like NYC have millions of people living and voting there. Then places like Wyoming has like 7. //incorrect exaggeration
Seeing a full map like this makes you forget how densely populated certain, small areas are.
Friendly reminder that this is what the country looks like adjusted for electoral votes.
Surprising exactly no one, there have been many reports of problems at polling places today, particularly in swing states. It’s also clear that most of these efforts to frustrate, confuse, and trick voters are being done for the benefit of Republican candidates. Undermining the democratic process is an election strategy for the GOP.
“Allegheny County officials received a complaint early Tuesday morning that Republicans outside a polling station…in Homestead, Pa., were stopping voters outside the polls and demanding identification. A county judge ordered a halt to partisan electioneering outside polling stations, according to Pittsburgh’s Tribune-Review” (via)
“…The Philadelphia Inquirer reported confusion at polling stations across the metro area. At a site in South Philadelphia, a poll worker began asking for IDs after she was asked by a visitor why she was not instructing voters to provide them.” (via)
“Voters in Harrisburg reportedly received mailers instructing them incorrectly that they must provide state-approved identification to vote, according to The Philadelphia Daily News. The mailers were produced by the Pennsylvania State Department and sent out in September, before the Oct. 2 ruling.” (via)
- Voters throughout in Pennsylvania have been incorrectly turned away from polls for not having IDs (via)
“A Pennsylvania voter on Tuesday morning posted a video on Youtube in which his vote for President Obama was repeatedly changed into one for GOP candidate Mitt Romney, NBC News confirmed. The machine was taken out of service.” (via). According to Mother Jones, the machine has been “recalibrated” and is back in use.
- “Earlier in Pennsylvania, a judge issued an order to reinstate Republican election officials across Philadelphia who were allegedly ejected from the polls.” (via)
- “An hour after polls opened in Florida, hundreds — perhaps thousands — of voters received robocalls from the Pinellas County Supervisor of Elections office mistakenly telling them that they had until 7 p.m. on Wednesday to vote. Polls actually close at 7 p.m. on Tuesday. The calls went out because of a glitch with the office’s phone system, according to The Tampa Bay Times.” (via)
- This is on top of the fact that early voting hours in Florida were reduced by Republican lawmakers
- “[New Jersey voters] were instructed to send applications by fax or e-mail to their county clerk’s office, and were supposed to receive ballots back once their applications were approved. But according to NJ.com, many voters reported never receiving a ballot. (via)
- Linda McMahon’s (R) campaign has been handing out materials which suggest she’s Independent and aligned with the Democratic ticket (via)
- A judge will rule later today “on an election-eve lawsuit alleging that voting software used at election boards in 25 of Ohio’s most populous counties could leave equipment vulnerable to ballot manipulation. The software was made by Omaha-based Elections Systems and Software, according to the Associated Press.” (via)
- “In Ross County, Ohio, elections officials told The Columbus Dispatch that a small group of people was reported to be knocking on doors claiming to be from the Board of Elections.” (via)
- In the Cincinnati suburb of Norwood, a voter who walked into a polling place was handed a “sample ballot guide” which turned out to be instructions on how to vote Republican on every question. This was from a GOP worker who was illegally campaigning inside the polling station.
- Ohio’s election board falsely told thousands of voters that they were not registered. State officials decided to make those people use provisional ballots. (via)
- Conservative judges will hear an appeal on SEIU v. Husted, which
- There have been reports of sheriff’s deputies and poll workers harassing Latino canvassers and voters
- An election worker in Clackamas County, Oregon was caught tampering with ballots, filling in Republican votes (via)
- Republican Jeff Flake was robocalling registered Democrats, directing them to the wrong polling places (via)
Make no mistake about it, Republicans work to make it harder for citizens to vote. Undermining the democratic process is how they win elections.
It is the ONLY way they can win elections.
Judging from recent experience, close presidential elections tend to coincide with problems at the polls. Remember the 2000 election’s butterfly ballots and dangling chads? Or, four years later, the 10-hour lines in Knox County, Ohio? Though civil rights groups worry that history will again repeat itself this year, at least one thing will be different: what’s in our pockets. Anybody with a smartphone can now shoot video of polling irregularities and upload it to the internet. But someone must still curate all of this citizen journalism, and that’s where a group called Video The Vote comes in.
You think you’re being all revolutionary by not casting a ballot, but you’re really just being an idiot.
I don’t know how true this is (but to be surprised would be foolish), but check it out!
Yeah it’s true.
(psst, also applies for any other party you may be voting for - including republican, i suppose - so if you’re voting green or libertarian or what have you, please take note!)
FACT! STRAIGHT TICKET VOTING DOES NOT INCLUDE THE PRESIDENCY, THIS IS TRUE! Even if you select a GOP or a Democrat straight ticket you must STILL vote individually for the President! I early voted the other day and the poll people reminded me to be sure to select my presidential choice before I selected a straight ticket.
This is true! My sister works the poles during Election Days.
my mom told me about this and just be safe everyone
- Whoever wins will get to appoint one to three Supreme Court justices. This election is about whether you want conservative or progressive justices in the highest court of the land for the next forty years.
- With conservative judges, the Citizens United decision is cemented, meaning corporations and high-wealth individuals can spend unlimited funds on campaigning. This election is about whether you want democracy to be able to be bought.
- If Romney wins, he will repeal Obamacare, the first major health care overhaul in decades. If Obama wins, Obamacare will essentially be set in stone. This election is about whether you want health care reform or if you want to return to predatory insurance companies.
- There have been more efforts to suppress the votes of Democratic voters than we’ve seen in a while. This election is about whether such tactics are proven to work and continue or are found unacceptable.
- During the past four years, Republican legislators have been purposefully obstructing any constructive legislation that could push this country forward. They have been doing this under the assumption that it will make Obama look bad and further their own causes. This election is about whether politicians can successfully harm the country to protect their own interests.
- There has been more downright false information spread by Republican organizations and Mitt Romney himself during this election than we’ve perhaps ever seen. This election is about whether you can do nothing but lie to the American people in order to win.
This election is vital. Even if you aren’t super enthused by Obama, this election will affect far more than the next four years. And because of that, please, I implore you, I beg of you, use your right to vote.
so you think romney’s son buying voting machines in ohio isn’t going to make any impact on the election, right? WRONG. according to at least one person in columbus, ohio on the daily beast’s voter irregularity widget, machines with votes cast for obama are reporting as votes cast for romney. this is, in joe biden’s words, “a big fucking deal.”
I can’t validate the truth behind this claim and really, none of us can. But this is an important resource and an even more important record of whatever is going to go down this Tuesday.